Social and ethics committee report
The board of directors is the ultimate custodian of the group's values and ethics and in its own conduct strives to lead by example. It follows that the board aims to integrate these values and ethics into the company's growth strategy. The social and ethics committee, a statutory committee of the board, assists the board in this endeavour. The committee is formally appointed to assist the board with social, ethics and related matters, as provided for in the Companies Act.
The committee is chaired by Mike Lewin and its membership includes independent non-executive Nonyameko Mandindi and CEO Morné Wilken. Members of the executive are invited to attend meetings. The committee meets twice a year. Attendance at committee meetings is set out on Corporate governance report.
Good corporate citizenship is a positive and welcome element of our business activities and corporate ethos. Our corporate ethos reflects our philosophy and ultimately our core values and reason for being. A key component of the Hyprop business strategy is to be a responsible and accountable corporate citizen that contributes to the economic development of the country.
- The committee comprises three members, two independent non-executive directors and one executive director
- The committee is chaired by an independent non-executive director, who has been appointed by the board
- Given the nature and size of Hyprop's operations, the current composition is appropriate. The committee is satisfied that it fulfilled its responsibilities in line with its charter.
The committee monitors the group's activities in terms of social, environmental and economic development, including:
- Good corporate citizenship – promoting ethical leadership, integrity, anticorruption, sustainability, value creation, equality, preventing discrimination and contributing to the development of the communities in which its activities are predominantly conducted
- Environmental impact – as a landlord, Hyprop has a low environmental impact, and aims to reduce this further in its operations. The committee reviews the environmental policy biannually and reports to the board on it
- Stakeholder relations – ensuring that all communications to stakeholders are transparent and appropriate
- Human capital – labour and employment, education and skills development
- Transformation – broad-based black economic empowerment and employment equity.
The committee monitors compliance with Hyprop's code of conduct and ethics and other relevant social, ethical and legal requirements, as well as best practice. It reports to shareholders on matters in its mandate at the annual general meeting.
Hyprop's social and ethics committee is satisfied that it complied with its legal, regulatory, and other responsibilities during the current financial year.
Social and ethics committee chairperson